Your address will show here +12 34 56 78
Mikael Phillips, Press Releases

The People’s National Party is expressing its solidarity and deepest sympathy with the people of Montego Bay as they recover from a devastating calamity.  The Party notes the many residents, students and business owners who have been affected by this disaster, especially so close to the Christmas and exam season.  The Party is calling on residents to not spare efforts in ensuring their safety and hopes that normalcy will return soon. 

 

The Party notes that the Government has, over the last year, spent an unprecedented sum of money on drain cleaning and bushing of roads.  It is therefore puzzling as to why this large spend has not resulted in better mitigation of flooding, as happened in Montego Bay yesterday, and recently in Portland.  Shadow Minister of Transport and Works, Mikael Phillips said that “there has to be more accountability in how state resources are spent.  We can’t be increasing the spending on these issues yet when it is put to the test we have these devastations.  The public needs to be assured that the allocated sums are spent for the purposes they were allocated and that there is value for the money spent.”  Mr Phillips is calling on the Government to take disaster mitigation seriously and put measures in place to deal with these increasing occurrences.  He notes that a comprehensive programme and policy is what is needed, and not a piecemeal effort. 

 

The Party President, Dr Peter Phillips is reiterating his call for restoration and rehabilitation efforts, in situations like this, to be non-political and inclusive so that the widest cross-section of affected persons can be assisted.  He says the Party stands ready to assist in any way the Government sees fit. 

 

A team from the Party, led by Dr Wykeham McNeill, Mikael Phillips and Dr Angela Brown-Burke, will tour the flood ravaged areas of Montego Bay and make some recommendations as to how we move forward to ensure the lives of the people are brought back to as normal as possible. 

0

Dayton Campbell, Press Releases

There seems to be a stalemate between the Government and the Nurses Association of Jamaica that has resulted in the disruption of services in the public health care facilities with scores of nurses reported as being sick thus affecting the delivery of care. 

The nurses are suffering from the acute conditions of stagnation in the discussions regarding the salary /wage negotiations for 2017-2019 which have been stalled indefinitely. The Opposition is urging the Government  to move with speed to address the situation and allow normalcy to return to the health sector. 


The Government offered an increase of a meagre 3% to the nurses which equates to less than $2000 per month or less than $100 more per day. The Opposition views this as an  insult to the hard working nurses, who sacrifice daily to preserve the well being of our nation. It is clear that the nurses and other members of the health care team are overworked and grossly under paid, leaving very limited room for motivation. The Opposition stands in solidarity with the nurses and demands that the Government shows them the respect they deserve by resuming  the talks with them in an effort to  make a meaningful offer. 

The WHO recommends that 6% of GDP be spent on health care and currently only 3% of the GOJ’s budget is allocated to health care. That is unacceptable and is the cause of  the downward spiral regarding the standard of care being delivered. 


The nurses are restive and the few that I spoke to personally are questioning whether or  not they can trust the words of the Government and the Cabinet, the Prime  Minister must intervene and restore the  credibility of his administration. 

0

Patriots, Press Releases

KINGSTON, Jamaica, November 22, 2017:  In its typical style of heightening its own hypocrisy and partisan bias, Generation 2000 (G2K) has called on South East St. Ann’s Member of Parliament, Lisa Hanna to “step aside” to allow for a thorough and transparent investigation in relation to allegations contained in a report released by the Office of the Contractor General (OCG).


However, according to our assessment and interpretation of the situation, there is no need for Ms. Hanna to reply to G2K’s woof because she has already stated that she has done nothing wrong and would cooperate fully with the authorities in seeing that the matter is appropriately dealt with and resolved; and that the public understands completely the processes that were formulated to carry out the activities.


We find it extremely astounding and ludicrous that the G2K, the affiliated young professional arm of the governing Labour Party, who has ignored the OCG report on the $800Mn de-bushing programme undertaken prior to the local government elections, would be calling for Ms. Hanna to “step aside” before urging the Prime Minister and implicated ministers to respond to the allegations against them in the OCG’s report. 


It has been months since the contractor general made his report public on the scandalous $800m de-bushing programme, in which he described how five Cabinet Ministers devised a “corruption enabling mechanism” to divert state funds.   The Prime Minister, who had initially promised to respond to the report, has yet to do so.  G2K turned a blind eye to the findings of the OCG’s report, made no call on the Major Organized Crime and Anti-Corruption Agency (MOCA) to investigate, and has made no public statements admonishing anyone for their role in the corruption enabling activities.

Therefore, the caucus of young professional of the People’s National Party (PNP), is calling on G2K to demand that Prime Minister Andrew Holness accord respect to the office of the Contractor General and provide the promised comments on the damning report which was critical of his government’s handling of the public works programme.

The contractor general’s report on the de-bushing programme brings the Cabinet and at least five of its ministers into disrepute, asserted the President of the Patriots, Omar Newell.

0